This week I followed my action plan by developing and applying textures to the model I created last week. The textures were all developed in Photoshop and I tried to create them all myself rather than by downloading any textures. I based my work off of my previous research of texturing, especially the work on metal textures. I created a diffuse map and a specular map for the arm, leg, head, torso and back limb of the model separately, I also created a bump map for the arm to accentuate any scratches. To create smaller details such as scratches or faded paint I used vector masks and brushes in combination to reveal a lighter metal beneath which made it appear that the paint had begun to wear off. Here is the final model after it has been textured.

FMP Textured Model Screenshot.png

Render.jpg

 

The first stage for this process was to unwrap the model in 3DS Max, this gave me the UVW template which I used to assign textures to specific areas of the model. After this stage I created the materials, I based them off of my previous work where I practiced creating textures. For this i created several variants of metal materials, a brushed steel material and a small screwhead image which was applied to some areas on the limbs. Following this I added the materials to the relevant areas of the model by using the UVW template as reference in Photoshop. I then altered the diffuse maps to make specular maps for the whole model and a bump map for the arms which had scratches. After creating the textures I added them into 3DS Max and applied them to the relevant area of the model.

 

The colours were based off of my previous research into character design which covered colours and the moods they convey, by doing this research I decided that grey and red would be the most appropriate colours. The overall colour scheme is designed to be dark, but the areas that your eyes are meant to be drawn to are light grey or if they are very important they are red. The light grey also helps separate out different areas, for instance the shoulder joints are light grey to make it clearer that they are extruding out from the main torso. I only applied the red colouring to the most important areas, these are the outside of the claws, the edge of shoulder fins and the head. I used the colour to draw attention to the areas which would convey the most threat, these are the sharpest areas and the areas which are used to attack, I also used the red to draw attention to the face as the head is a central area to the body.

 

My aim when texturing was to create all of the materials myself rather than to download free textures, I based the textures off of my texturing practice from a previous week. By doing this I hope to become more proficient in creating unique materials in Photoshop and to gain familiarity with Photoshop. The textures may have been of higher quality if I had downloaded metals and detailing, but I believe this was an important learning experience which taught me more about different methods and techniques for creating textures.

 

Overall I am happy with the texturing of this model, I had no particular problems with developing the model, though I believe the textures could have been slightly more detailed, I will bear this in mind for my future projects. I was happy with the detailing on the claws , the torso and the elbows which have faded paint at the edges and some scratches, I also added screwheads to certain areas on the limbs.

 

This is what I wrote in my action plan for this week:

“Texture the model, begin rigging.”

In terms of texturing I did a large amount of work, I had no issues with time as I kept ahead of my workload, this allowed me to reflect on my work later and consider any possible improvements. With regards to rigging I started by creating the bones of the model in preparation for next week, the rigging can all be seen in next week’s blog post.

 

 

 

Here are some screenshots which show the difference between how the model appears when rendered and unrendered:

Unrendered:

Claw No Bump Map.png

Rendered:Claw with bump map.jpg

The difference between these two images is quite easy to see, the screwheads and the line between the two halves are indented, this is due to the bump map I created for the arms. This effect gives the illusion of depth without adding to the complexity of the model, it is a very useful technique to know as it can be used to create intricate details without adding to the tri count of a model.

 

Unrendered:

Screenshot Unrendered.png

Rendered:

Screenshot.jpg

In these images we can see the effect of the specular map, the lighter silver areas are made to be more reflective and this can be easily seen on the ribs as there is a strong reflection in the second image. The specular map also highlights some of the lighter areas of the dark grey metal as the lightest parts of the material are more reflective due to the specular map which helps make them more distinct.

 

 

Here are all of the textures that were applied to the model:

 

Arm:

Diffuse map:

Arm Diffuse Map.jpg

Specular Map:

Arm Specular Map.jpg

Bump map:

Arm Bump Map 2.jpg

Leg:

Diffuse map:Leg Specular Map.jpg

 

Specular Map:

Leg Diffuse Map.jpg

Bump map:

Leg Bump Map.jpg

Torso:

Diffuse map:

Torso Diffuse Map.jpg

Specular Map:

Torso Specular Map.jpg

Head:

Diffuse map:

Head Diffuse.jpg

Specular Map:

Head Specular.jpg

Back Limb:

Diffuse map:

Back Limb Diffuse Map.jpg

Specular Map:

Back Limb Specular Map.jpg

Bump map:

Back Limb Bump Map.jpg

 

 

Advertisements